Tuesday, May 19

{ NCAA Championships }


BYU had the opportunity to host the 2009 NCAA Championships for Men's Volleyball. As part of my job I had the assignment of overseeing the hospitality for the tournament. I was kind of nervous considering I had never done anything like that before but I enjoyed planning it.

The week of was super busy. I worked a ton, but everything went pretty smooth thankfully. There were some unexpected things that came up, but were more funny to me than anything. Like the fact that we forgot to get food for the refs and on an 11 p.m. run to Arby's I ended up pounding on the door along with three USC Volleyball Players, begging the restaurant to let the boys in and feed them.

This was after their game and because they were in their team bus they couldn't go through the drive thru (which was still open). I had a car but had to explain to the Spanish-speaking manager (multiple times because he didn't understand us) why they couldn't go through the drive thru with me (against NCAA rules) but why I could...and why we both needed to buy food...for different reasons. Even when I went through the drive thru the manager asked if I was their coach. Ya right! Like I could be their coach. I couldn't even reach the top of the net.

My favorite part was the banquet we hosted at the Sundance Resort for the four teams. They did most of the work up at Sundance (after we told them what we wanted) and I was able to just enjoy it all. It was a gorgeous setting in a banquet hall right off a waterfall and pond tucked into the evergreens. Too bad I forgot my camera.

Then came the games. You could just feel the excitement around. I didn't get to watch the semi-final games getting all the staff and VIP hospitality organized and kept up, but watched the championship match. It was amazing just knowing I was watching the best of the best.

It was something I am so glad I had the opportunity to be involved in.

The Court.



The NCAA brought in a sport court to play on, chairs, a replay screen. It looked so good.


Press conference area.

No comments: