Monday, June 28

{ first impressions }

I've been thinking a lot about first impressions and how people perceived each other.

Especially how people perceive me. Not that I care too much.

I actually kind of like who I am thank you very much (insert smiley emoticon here). I am not going to change who I am for other people. Trust me. I am not losing sleep over it either.

It is just in the past I think I have come across as a different person than I actually am.

Completely unintentional, obviously. Lately, this topic has come up multiple times in conversations I've had with various people and it has got me thinking. Am I doing something that I need to change to correctly portray the person I actually am?

As I have gotten to know people (especially close friends), at some point we talk about our first impressions of each other. It is interesting. People say the same thing. They think because I am more quiet and reserved (at first), they thought I was a snob and stuck up. I don't know. Maybe I am ... though I would beg to differ. I guess I am just a little shy at first and it comes off completely wrong.

Also, on more than a couple occasions recently someone who I've been talking with will stop and say something to the effect, Is something wrong? And at the time nothing was wrong. Am I giving a concerned, mad, uninterested, bugged vibe or facial expression??

Both of these things have had me self-reflect a little. Of what I need to change. Not in terms of who I am, but how I come across as the person I actually am. Maybe I look mad all the time. Maybe I need to smile more. Maybe I need to work on not folding my arms so much (bad habit). Maybe I need to find my inner cheerleader again and be more peppy. Maybe I need to not be so guarded (especially in dating). Maybe I need to open up sooner to people and not be so reserved.

I don't know. Just been thinking. This is probably more information than you bargained for. Whoops.

5 comments:

DaNae said...

1st impressions are interesting. When I was first married I had a hard time with this. I was totally reserved and more shy than usual and people thought I was always like that. It took me a while to reharness my crazy self. I am working on trying to not be so shy when I first meet new people. I guess that is why you have to get to know people and give them the benefit of the doubt. But you rock and are always smiling!

missesbarlow said...

my first impression of you... laid back, down to earth, cool as an ice cube, and kind... my intuition was right... and i also appreciate that you don't come with drama! haha! love ya lisa!

Kim said...

Ahhh, I have this problem also. For mostly the same reasons...being reserved, accidently making weird faces, bad habbits...(I don't cross my arms, but I do clench my jaw, which prevents a lot of smiling!) But I'm actually a really happy person, as I know you are! Hope all is well in Provo town ;)

Gillian Michelle said...

As previously stated...we might be the same person! I think my problem comes because I sit and observe people and through that observation I think I appear stuck up because I'm not always participating in the conversation or activity....oh well. The real people we care about know how we really are :) And I'm with Lia...we don't do drama!!

janel said...

Hey I love you and I'm glad we had this little convo - obviously these are common thoughts. What I've found is that when I'm reserved so are a lot of other people and when I try to be open, people respond more open then what they might normally do. For instance remember how fun "Hey friend . . yeah I don't remember your name but I just wanted to ask you something!" And it worked a lot of people loved it. And to be honest the ones that didn't (I don't still remember their names so it doesn't matter). My problem is I sometimes lose this energy to always be happy and inviting and personable, you want someone to invite you for once - but if this is what I can do to foster good relationships than here we go it's not about me and how people percieve me anymore it's about what you can learn about someone else and start a friendship with them from now on. We'll see how this all works!