Tuesday just wasn't my day.
It did not start out well from the get-go. I woke up at 6:45 a.m., as usual and proceeded to shower and dry my hair. Realizing I needed something from my room I went to open my bedroom door.
LOCKED!
Before we continue I probably should tell you that the lock on this door isn't your regular household lock that can be popped with a bobbi-pin or hanger. You know what I'm talking about. Nope. This is a straight up real-key-required lock.
Problem is I don't have the key.
Multiple thoughts crossed my mind at that moment.
Oh crap. How did my door lock??? I never lock my door. My phone is in there. Why does my stupid door have shut by itself all the time? My car keys are in there. Am I sleep walking now and not know it? Maybe I can borrow my roommates clothes and deal with this later. No. Can't. My bra is in there. How am I supposed to get to work ... and look presentable?
Being a problem solver I immediately went and grabbed our spare house key. That has to work! Why wouldn't it?
The key slipped right in. Success. I went to turn it. Fail.
With no other option at the moment I continued to get ready. I mean the least I could do was do my hair, put on my make up and brush my teeth. Those were things I could do without having to get into my bedroom.
I decided to wait for Holly to get up. She would be up soon. Maybe she had the answer. She at least would have her phone.
Holly suggested I call our landlord. I hesitated as we have no confidence in him. He's a flighty, unreliable, and slow to fix things at our house. We've been trying to get our dishwasher fixed for five months. That's besides the point.
In desperation I called him. He said he didn't have a key. What? How can you not have a key to the bedrooms in YOUR house? He proceeded to tell me he could stop by and take a look at noon. Noon? Seriously? Don't you know I have to work? I am NEVER renting from you again. I was even more frustrated with my predicament as I hung up.
Another thought ran through my mind. My window is open. Maybe I could climb onto the roof and climb through my window. Holly and I evaluated the possibility. Too steep? Maybe. I was desperate though. I had no other option ....unless I wanted to wait until noon for my landlord to come, confirm that the door was indeed locked and call a locksmith. Not worth my time.
I took off the screen to Holly's bedroom window and climbed onto the roof....held on for dear life and scaled the house to my window.
More thoughts.
I think I've hit a new low in my life. Don't look down. Don't you dare fall. I probably look like a complete fool. Could I get out of my lease for having to do this?
Phew. Made it. I broke my screen in the process of climbing into my room, but at that point I didn't care. Landlord can pay for that. I risked my life because of his stupidity.
Needless to say I finally got in and unlocked my door. Made it to work 45 minutes late. I got a Diet Coke on the way. After my morning I deserved it!
Unbeknown to me, while I was scaling the roof Holly snapped a photo.
Here I am in all my morning glory!
Please note the school bus passing in the background. To which I advise, kids, do not try this at home! And make sure your doors are ALWAYS unlocked...to your bedroom at least.
6 comments:
good thing it wasn't snowing outside! that would've been a sight to see! glad you made it into your bedroom window, ALIVE! xo
Tuesday was NOT the day for us Johnson girls. At all. Ad glad you got your cure all aka a diet coke.
what an exciting morning! I'm glad Holly snapped a pic.
Diet Coke will fix anything!
Love, MOM
PS Don't try this again. Hear me!
Right after we moved in to our new house I locked the garage door I didn't have a key too. Knowing Bryce wouldn't be home for several hours to open the front door (because naturally we only had one key to that too) I hacked off the entire door nob with a combination of a hammer and a maglite. I was only slightly embarassed when Bryce got home and showed me where he had left the one front door key, just in case I needed it while he was gone.
I love this in every way. Lisa, you are my hero.
Post a Comment