Tuesday, June 21

Wasatch Back: Team Sweaty or Not


I just finished probably the hardest thing I have ever physically done in my life.
Hands down harder than a half marathon.

The Wasatch Back is the largest relay race in the world. It is a continuous overnight relay that covers nearly 200 miles. It was such a crazy experience. Each person on your team runs three different legs, that covers different terrain.

Leg 1: I felt good. Pretty much just a flat 4 miles. I got into a groove pretty quick and was passing people left and right (which is always a self-esteem boost). It was a the beginning so it was still chaos. Decked out vans and suburbans were driving up and down the roads and trying to fight the congestion so there was a lot to look at and I was entertained.

Leg 2: That was the HARDEST run I have ever done in my life. But, I did it! I climbed 1000 feet in 3.8 miles. I don't do hills ... well I do but I always go downhill. So this was a challenge for me. I got a pretty good time and I felt like I could conquer the world after that. So what did I do? I decided to pace my friend for 2 miles who was on the next leg. Hers was all downhill. That is more my cup of tea.

Leg 3: Was pretty rough for me. I was going on 2 hours of sleep. The run itself wasn't hard, but it was pretty boring. When I saw my last hand off, I was so happy I was done! I had just finished the Ragnar. I could relax and soak my feet in a natural hot spring ... no really I did. It was heavenly.

I've been in an exercise/running rut and honestly didn't know if I would be able to do it. It was so refreshing pushing myself. I was reminded how much I enjoy exercising. 



I missed every exchange. Talk about anti-climatic. To my defense two of the exchanges they announced our team number wrong...the third? Umm ... mother nature called.

The finish line was my favorite part.

I finally got to catch up with my family, who were in the other van and who actually had a camera (my battery was dead. boo). Oh ... and the fact that we were done might have something to do with it too.

The official finish line.
Team Sweaty or Not. We finished in 30 hours and 36 minutes.

Me and Steph with our medals. 
We did not plan to match. We were in different vans and barely saw each other the whole time. 
Great minds think alike I guess.

Me and my fam. Clearly I did not get the memo to put on (or even pack) makeup. 
Shows who is really hardcore in the family.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Notice Ben is at a stand still at your exchange. HAHA. I love that you missed every exchange. Cracks me up.

And pshh Steve is not wearing makeup either! I think we were just bored waiting for you guys!

DaNae said...

I totally want to do one. There is one in nashville but it is the same weekend I'm doing another race. Um, so maybe I can join your team next year??!

from head 2 toe said...

What an accomplishment! Shout out to you and Stephanie for doing this! You girls are rockstars!
xoxo

Ashley said...

so i'm sitting here reading this and i'm like "oh my gosh" this sounds (and looks) just like what stephanie did....and then lo and behold....there shes is and ya'll are besties!!! soo cool...you two are my heros for this!

Hilary @ Hilabeans said...

wow! I just ran a half marathon, but this seems so much more exciting! Now I want to look into this! congratulations!