I've tried writing this post for over a month now. I mean how do I start a blog post about something that has turned my world upside down? Something that has shaken it to the very core. How do you start writing about something that has forever changed your life?
Cancer.
That word you always heard others going through, but never thought it would happen to your family. In July my 3-year-old niece, Courtney, was diagnosed with Embryonol Rhabdomyosarcoma, which is cancer of connective tissue. It was a tender mercy that her dad found the tumor when he did. Up until then she had no symptoms of having a large tumor in her abdomen.
That first week was horrible. I remember feeling like I was in a bad dream. I can't even imagine how my sister and brother-in-law felt. My family was supposed to all go to Glacier National Park for a little reunion. It would be the first time in like 3 years that my family would all be together in one place.
After her diagnosis was official, my entire family came to Utah instead so we could all be together. It was a special time. Being all together. Being reminded of what is really important in life. Scott and I spent a lot of time in the car that week driving up to Farmington or to Primary Children's. While driving all I could think of was of the phrase "There is Joy in the Journey." It helped me refocus. Instead of the doom and gloom that I was feeling, I needed to have faith. I needed to remember that Courtney was very loved by her Heavenly Father and that he was watching over her care.
As the weeks have passed our family has been so touched watching people's generocity in helping the Simon's. I truly believe that there is goodness left in the world and that the Light of Christ shine's brightly in the hearts of people.
During one of the long afternoon's in the hospital, Courtney's older sisters came up with a family motto and "secret" handshake that goes along to help everyone get through all this. We Can Do Hard Things. Yes, yes she can. I have already seen it.
Courtney is one special little girl! In the middle of all of this she is still able to keep a smile on her face. I have no doubt that she is able to fight this. #teamcourneyeliseforlife
During her first round of chemo at the hospital.
This is the most recent picture of her. She is all smiles (well most of the time) and sure loves that cat.



5 comments:
Lisa, I can't believe this. I am SO sorry. She looks amazing, though! How is her treatment going? My prayers are with your family!!!
She is such a darling little girl. Love all of the positive things I've read to support her and the family. You guys are awesome and can totally do HARD THINGS!! Praying for you and the Simons all the time.
What a little sweetheart. Courtney and her family will be in our prayers.
She is seriously such a beautiful little girl! I am so glad her treatments are working. Praying for Courtney and your family.
So sweet. You guys have such an awesome family. She is one adorable patient.
Post a Comment