Sunday, January 26

How I Journal


Five years ago I was motivated to actually start keeping a journal. The normal write your life down with pen on paper just was not working for me (Confession: I am the slowest writer ever. Never ask me to take notes for you). I had to figure out something that would work for me. I mean nobody said that you have to put pen to paper to consider it a journal, right? So I got creative.

I am a pretty proficient at typing so I decided to make a blog that is completely private. I am the only one who has access to it and who knows the web address. That way I didn't have to be in my bedroom if I had a few minutes to write. I could write from anywhere. In this private blog I would write my feelings and other happenings (i.e. at the time dating ... or lack thereof) that I didn't want others to know about. That same time I started my blog of the things I didn't mind having public to keep friends and family updated.

At the end of the calendar year I combined the blogs together and created a printed book from Blurb.com. Blurb isn't my favorite place for getting photo books printed (Shutterfly is my favorite), but it has the ability to pull all the content and photos from a blog (and multiple blogs) so you can organize it into a book. It makes it really easy. I was so excited after I got my first one back. I loved that I had photos from the year combined with my written feelings. It motivated me to do it for another year.

I just received my fifth book back from the printers!

I am so glad that I found something that works for me.

3 comments:

mks said...

This is such a great idea. I get our blog printed, but I've never thougth to combine a journal with it. I'm still using pen and paper, but I might just have to switch!

Ashley said...

K, this is what I needed to read. I have been working on my Blurb book forever bc it take so long. This was motivating for me to see how cute yours have turned out.

Nycole said...

Such a cool idea! I love that!