Tuesday, June 10

A Trip to The Big Apple

(I loved all the American Flags around NYC)

Usually in mid February we end up making our travel decisions for the year. And they usually land over Memorial Day. I think it's the fact that it is dark and cold in February and we want to get away. This trip (click here) was the result of last year's February depression. This year we debated between tropical and adventurous. We chose adventurous.

Scott's sister, Ashley and her family live just outside of NYC and we decided to go see them. It makes it very convenient (and an easy decision) that they live so close to my favorite city!

Some HIGHLIGHTS of the trip included:
+ A bike tour that took us over the Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges into Brooklyn. I fell in love with the Brooklyn Heights and DUMBO area. I almost plopped myself down and refused to ever leave. Straight out of a movie!
+ Top of The Rock. You can see forever from up there.
+ The food. I kid you not when I tell you that I gained 5 lbs. on our trip. Lombardies Pizza was top notch and Lavain Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Cookies never disappoint. Ashley introduced us to the Waffles and Dinges truck. Amazing!
+ Finding the best souvenirs at Chelsea Market.
+ Carson's suspenders. That kid kills me. 
+ Coming across random finds in the city ... The gelato at Eataly. Satled caramel. You'll thank me later ... Illumination lawn at Lincoln Center ... The photo booth in the bottom of The Smith.
+ Spending a day out in Connecticut, pretending I can afford to live there.
+ Central Park. That place is simply dreamy.
+ Newsies on Broadway. So much better than the movie. I would see it again in a heartbeat.
+ Ashley and Brett's hospitality. We had so much fun with them having BBQ's, seeing where they live and playing Super Mario 3 (yes, they own it). 

Some LOWLIGHTS included (there were only 3):
+ Our red eye flight. It sounded like a good idea when we booked it. We literally ended up taking a nap on a bench in Central Park. Not my finest moment.
+ Our "City Bike" rental during rush hour traffic. I thought I was going to die. Or have an anxiety attack.
+ Our phones running out of battery and going all over the city to find a phone charger. We ended up finding one at, where else but, TJMaxx.

 This was right after we took a nap on a Central Park bench, waiting to get into our hotel room. Oops.
 This may be one of my favorite photos I've ever taken. It's in DUMBO. 
 Bike Tour!
 If you know me, I watch the Today Show every morning. I love it so I had to take a photo as we were passing by and their Summer Concert series was going on.
 Top of the Rock to the North and South.

 Chelsea Market. In love with that place!!
 Inside Chelsea Market. I just noticed the creepy guy in the pic. You're welcome.
 Washington Square park. It's funny how different things look in the movies. Still ... a cool park.
 On our uber "touristy" day (notice the backpack) we went out to see Lady Liberty 
to say we have actually been there!

Lombardi's Pizza. We saw Mr. Lombardi himself at the restaurant. He looked like he was about to kill someone so we didn't go say hi. I'm not about to make a big Italian even more mad!

 The New 9/11 Museum. So humbling. So worth it.

This is my "I am going to kill you." smile. Scotty wanted to document me hating riding bikes during rush hour traffic. To my defense I literally thought I was going to die. Either that or I was hungry.

Newsies!

 I found our future home. Now I just need $7 million to live there.

 Stopped off at the local park to swing. 

 Illumination lawn. Best view of the Temple.

 Waffles!


 Central Park. Simply amazing!
I "Heart" NYC! Take me back!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Gaw, can we just do this whole trip thing again? My mouth was watering for that pizza. yum. Loved having you guys here!